Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Road to...You Know Where

Good intentions. I'm full of them! I intend to eat right this week. Come rain or snow, I intend to exercise every day.

But by the weekend, looking back, I'm usually ashamed at how little resolve I really had. I may have started off the week full of determination and totally committed, but I keep letting little things get in the way and spoil my accomplishments.

Things like that chocolate cake I passed at the grocery store bakery. Or the glazed cake donuts that called my name as I drove past the local Lamar's. It seems anything and everything distracts me from my goals.

I found another blog today about a guy and his struggle to lose weight. In his post today, he talked about how we all make excuses for ourselves when we don't measure up. He's on a weight loss journey, like many of us, and had a particularly tough week last week. He was feeling sorry for himself because he put a couple pounds back on, and many of his readers wrote in with understanding and supportive emails.

But one reader gave him a swift kick in the pants, told him to get up off his butt, get over it and do something about it! He realized right then and there that he needed to heed that advice and stop making excuses if he wanted to live past the age of 45.

Isn't that always the way it is? We start out with the best of intentions, then slowly start sliding downhill because we let everything else get it in the way. And along with the excuses go the resolve--and the self-esteem. Until someone comes along and forces us to confront our demons.

Enough talk. I'm tired of looking like a beached whale (no, I'm not pregnant!) and wondering who that horrible fat lady is in all my family pictures. I'm hitting the treadmill and, at least for today, not making excuses.

One day at a time....


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Directory of Health Blogs Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory Blog Directory Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory blog search directory