Monday, August 4, 2008

Are Meds the Answer?

Recently I saw an ad for a new weight loss study in my hometown. One of the foremost universities here is looking for overweight people willing to take one of two medicines associated with weight loss, both of them or possibly a placebo, in order to see if either or both medications really work.

Since my husband and I are both heavy, we both applied. It would be nice to do this together, as we're both in the same boat and could attend the appointments together and, I think, be an encouragement to one another.

Even my daughter is jumping on the bandwagon. Whereas my husband and I are closer to 100 pounds overweight, my daughter is more like 50. But she's much younger, and I'd like to see her live a full life, have a family of her own and not be afraid of dying young like we are. Not to be morbid, but this extra 100 pounds or so I'm carrying around is really making me exhausted! I miss the energy I used to have when I was my daughter's age.

Anyway, the university called me today and, after a few questions, said I qualify for the study. Now I just have to cross my fingers, hope my husband and daughter get in, and pray for meds instead of placebos!

Have any of you out there ever gone this route in your attempts to lose weight? I'd be interested in hearing your perspectives, cautions, etc as I try this last "something new."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Directory of Health Blogs Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory Blog Directory Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory blog search directory