Sunday, August 17, 2008

A New Cause for Childhood Obesity

We all know that overweight kids become overweight adults. But in a study out last Thursday, experts now say that kids who have surgery for common childhood problems like ear infections and infected or swollen tonsils are more likely to become obese too. They say that correcting these types of problems may affect childrens' taste buds, causing them to prefer sweets over more healthy foods--which leads to weight gain and unhealthy eating habits.

When I read this, I had to stop and think. I had my tonsils removed when I was young, and I did gain weight in the years that followed. But for me, I think that was more about pure genetics than anything. Though I wasn't particularly active during my teenage years, I wasn't super sedentary either. And everyone in both my immediate and extended family was always overweight, so I think I just got stuck with bad genes.

The premise of this idea makes sense though. Since sweets are the strongest and easiest to taste flavors, it stands to reason that when taste receptors for other flavors are interrupted or blocked, kids would learn to prefer sweets over other foods because that's all they could taste.

I wonder how things are different for adults who have these types of corrective surgeries. Sure, you don't usually hear of them getting tubes put in their ears; but I have known adults who've had their tonsils removed after years of problems with them. I wonder if, following those types of surgery, adults have the same kind of issues.

Regardless, here's one more situation that may lead to obesity. Maybe our kids would be better off without surgery (where there's an option, of course).


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Directory of Health Blogs Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory Blog Directory Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory blog search directory